Introduction

Welcome to The Disneyland® Guide for Families (Unofficial). You don't have to be part of a family to use this reference guide. By all means, anyone is welcome to use it. Just find what is useful for you and your situation.



This blog began it's life as a manuscript for a book that was never published, so there is a ton of content here. The bulk of the information that is only occasionally updated is listed under the "Chapters", and will probably be where you spend most of your time. The "home" page has additions that are more like comments on current events related to the Disneyland® Resort, or just fun things that I continue to find.



I love to hear from people who have used the information contained in this blog. Please let me know if you have found the information helpful, and if there is something else you think I should talk about, let me know!



Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Going to the Disneyland Resort While Pregnant

Normally, the thought of walking for miles, flying in an airplane, and sitting in things that bounce me around, while I’m Pregnant, is horrifying to me. I’m an older mom, and I don’t care what anyone says, it gets harder the older you are. When I say “older”, I was 41 when our second was born. Plus, I’m a wimp. Add in having a hard time sleeping (at least at night), and a general overall chubbiness that I had from before I was pregnant, and you may wonder what I was thinking when we did a Disneyland Resort vacation while I was 4 months pregnant.  Oh, The depths of my obsession with Disneyland truly come to light.


Okay, honestly, it wasn’t bad at all. The key being that I was FOUR months pregnant. If you are going to go to Disneyland while you are pregnant, I suggest shooting for your second trimester. Oh, that wonderful second trimester when you have a renewed sense of energy and a whole lot less morning sickness.

That being said, here are some suggestions that have helped others and me while attending the Disneyland Resort while in all stages of pregnancy:

1. Wear comfy clothes and shoes. I think you should do this even when you aren’t pregnant, but it’s even more important while pregnant. Plan for your feet and ankles to swell. Mine didn’t, but you never know, and shoes that are too tight are miserable.
2. Bring a change of clothes in case morning/motion sickness gets the better of you.
3. Do a little research ahead of time to see what attractions you should not ride while pregnant. (See the list below)
4. Have a convenient place to go take a nap in the middle of the day. If you’re staying in a hotel, try to make it close to the park, so that it’s easy and not very time consuming to go and take a nap when you need it. We borrowed my sister’s hotel room which was very close to the resort
5. Stop by a bathroom whenever one is close by. It’s not a good thing to really really need a restroom, and not have one available, for instance while you are in line for an attraction. I like to wear sanitary pads just as a precaution, plus it’s nice to be able to change that out during the course of the day.
6. Remember to drink lots of water.
7. Remember to eat small, frequent meals and snacks.
8. Sit down and put your feet up whenever you get the chance.
9. If you get to feeling woozy or overly tired, get a wheel chair and let someone push you.

It used to be that if there were a height requirement, Disneyland Resort would suggest, “Expectant mothers should not ride.” BUT that is no longer true. There are a few exceptions to that rule, Soarin’ Over California, Jumping Jellyfish, and Silly Symphony Swings all have a height requirement, but the Resort no longer posts a warning against expectant mothers riding. So here is the current list of attractions that the Disneyland Resort suggests that expectant moms avoid:

Autopia
Gadget’s Go Coaster
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Star Tours
Indiana Jones Adventure
Tuck and Roll’s Drive ‘em Buggies
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Grizzly River Run
Rock Wall & Zip Line in Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
California Screamin’
Mulholland Madness

You might also want to evaluate your sensitivity to motion. What I’m thinking of are rides that spin, like: Mad Tea Party, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Flicks Flyers, Francis’ Lady Bug Spin, Astro Orbiter, Golden Zephyr, and Mickey’s Fun Wheel. Your ability to ride these attractions without mishap may be related to the time of day, and how recently you have eaten. I’m not saying don’t go on any of these rides, I’m just saying think about it, and evaluate yourself realistically at that moment. All of that being said, I went on Francis’ Lady Bug Spin and Flicks Flyers while 4 months pregnant with absolutely no unwanted side effects, so you’ll probably be just fine too. If you aren’t fine, well, you’ve got a change of clothes, and trust me you aren’t the first person to puke on the ride.

Earlier I mentioned that you should shoot for your second trimester as the best time to attend the Disneyland Resort while pregnant. When you have been planning your family’s vacation for months in advance, you may not be able to hit that middle trimester. It’s okay. Women in all stages of pregnancy go to Disneyland. There have even been babies born there, not that you want that to happen. Pay close attention to your body, and if you are in the parks and not feeling well or if you feel like something isn’t right, go to first aid and explain your situation. They will have a place for you to rest a little, and will help you get rehydrated as needed. Also, if needed, they will help in getting you to a hospital.

Don’t balk at a Disneyland Resort Vacation just because you are pregnant. You may have to take it a little easier than other times, and there will be attractions that you skip, but there is so much to do, see, and enjoy at the parks that you won’t feel like you are missing out. I didn’t realize how many attractions I didn’t go on until I started making the above lists. I had a great time, and you can too.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more with preparing for motion sickness. It doesn't matter how strong you think your stomach is when you're dealing with morning sickness!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be posted after moderation, thank you for your comments!